Method v2 7m review

General discussion

Method v2 7m review

Postby gio » Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:20 am

Had a go on the new method 7m today. Rode for about 20-25 minutes. winds were roughly 17-26 mph. I am 85kg riding a 5'11 strapped surfboard. rode with 20m lines on 55cm bar setting. Kite was set for lowest bar pressure/quick turning. I am not a team rider and have no affiliation with switch other than i own the original nitros 8 and 10 that i paid full price for. I have been looking for a higher wind wave kite since i mainly ride surfboards in higher winds. I have been torn between getting the 6 and 7 method and was able to demo the 7m v2.

Kite looked sharp pumped up. three settings for bar pressure. there is a transfer pulley on this model like the original nitros and i think original methods. Kite was really stable and smooth. Bar pressure was really nice and not too light. I think I would keep it at this setting or one setting higher for surfing since the kite turns quicker and like lower bar pressure when on a surfboard. Kite had plenty of power for a 7m, handled gusts with ease, and was super stable. I rode it in really small surf, 2-3 ft faces on the outside reef and purposely tried to see how it drifted and looped/turned when going down wind. Kite drifted like a charm. Very impressive. Did not lose that much tension on the lines and could still control it if I wanted to. As opposed to my v1 nitros where I am constantly working the kite when riding a wave downwind so that the kite does nit fall out of the sky. but the nitro is not designed for surf so I expect that. this kite is definitely made for surf. Did not attempt to jump it but doubt it even comes close to boosting power of nitro. Kite was insanely quick but real controllable and so much fin to fly. I also had it on 20m lines, 55cm bar and quick turn setting so without shortening the lines that would be as quick as it could get and loved it. I think they really addressed the previous issues with v1 (high bar pressure, satiability/ability to deal with gusts.) Did not park the kite overhead and let go of the bar. I ride nitros so I am used to just keeping some pressure on the bar which makes me feel connected to the kite. So did not test for front stall at high noon, but kite seemed really stable so I dont think that is a problem. Kite goes upwind really well. Stays in the window nice when throwing it around for surf. not sure I would change anything about the 7 i rode in the 20 minutes i had it. The worst part of the demo was giving the kite back :) I dont know how they got the kite to fly upwind so well while still getting it to drift well and fly in the window when you want it. Some of these qualities seem to work against each other so am impressed they were able to pull off such a nice balance. Now my dilemma is do I go with 6 or 7. I was originally thinking 6 but i think i may go with 7 now since it could have handled way more wind than what I had it out in and I think i will get way more water time with it. Otherwise, would need to alternate a 6 method with 8 nitro or possibly a 9 method if I can get one of those. So 7m seems more practical for me and will allow me to ride the 7 in conditions I would have to go with a 9m if i go with the 6. I have only ridden an older 9m method so hard to give detailed comparison of 7m v2 to 9m v1 model. I can tell you unequivocally that this one rode better but I hate to compare different size kites flown in different conditions based on one short session on each one.

bottom line... awesome kite and will be picking one up. kudos to the switch team for pumping out another great kite. I am also looking forward to the updated bar... i wont pile on that topic.. FInal quiver will most likely be 7 method to compliment my 8 and 10 nitros. Unless I ditch the TT, I will always have nitros in my quiver. Is there a switch loyalty program where you get small discounts for multiple kites ? :D I thought I would ask...
gio

Re: Method v2 7m review

Postby felix » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:57 am

Method 7m V2 KP1 and 30 knots
Attachments
Picture 12.png
Picture 12.png (671.1 KiB) Viewed 2650 times
felix

Postby cowpilot » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:33 pm

Mmmmm
It looks good !
French new team rider
method2 6m 9m & 11 m
Strapless surfboard 5'11
cowpilot

Postby felix » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:05 am

An email I received via email
From Guam :

I really can't say enough good things about this kite. I watched you and Bill Hansen as you both tweaked the final version this past summers at Moks. I was worried you might mess up the prototype I rode. But sure enough you and your team's hard work has paid off. I am absolutely blown away by how much work this kite does for the rider.

I only spend my time on the water riding strapless in waves these days and the Method V2 is the perfect kite for that. But even beyond that, I went out on my twin tip the first day as the tide was too low to ride my board. I was really impressed with how easy the kite is to control when boosting airs as well. I never expected that from a wave kite. I don't really do those much any more but the airs I did pull were probably my highest till date and each landing was butter-smooth. All because the kite was so responsive to my inputs, despite my never having to look at it when 30-40' up in the air and spotting my landing.

Today I did two hammer sessions. One at "Boat Basin" and one at "Asan". In both sessions I put the kite into the water (unintentional) and it in turn it got pummeled by the waves pretty relentlessly. Relaunch was manageable, despite multiple tumbling by the kite amd twisted lines a few times. No damage whatsoever. My BW and SS kites don't fare as well in such scenarios. They tear nearly every time they get munched by waves. I don't I why I put it down the waves so many times today, just charging harder I guess.

I'm sure its only a matter of time before I tear this 9. Guam eats kites its not as forgiving an environment as the various spots in Hawaii. Thats why I'll be ordering a backup 9... to keep me on the water. I like to charge. My intent is dialing in on a wave and worrying about my gear later. The consequence is I keep the kite and board repair guys in business. They love me. Every week bring more work their way. But I do get a bad rap by the guys for being so hard on my gear. Hahaha.

It will be interesting to see how much abuse this Method V2 9 can take before it finally goes.

I'm also getting a 7, 9, 11, and a 13. And I've ordered the 16M Nitro purely on faith... because I trust you guys got that one right too.

The pricing is perfect too. With your pricing model I can justify a new quiver very year, which is my intent with Switch from here forward.
felix

Postby antoine » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:01 pm

First test of the method V2 7m today in approximately 15-20 knots.

The kite is very more stable and very fast to take in hand.
The presence in bar is really very pleasant to see light.
The kite in the surfing is excellent and really allows to surf without having to take care of the kite but with concentrating it on the wave.

The various negative points which existed on V1 really have were taken into account and were adjusted.
The kite has me conquered immediately and for the moment I do not see what to be still improved.
Team rider France
Method V2 7m / 5m
Circle one 5'6
Surftech Webber Taj 6'1
antoine

Postby cowpilot » Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:40 pm

exactly the same for me with my new 9, with a lighter wind than you (20kms south from you today ;) ).
WHAT A POWERFUL WING !!!
14 then 15 or 16, never more, and I'm 87 kg rider , strapless surf (5'11). I was the lone 9m, others were between 10 and 21 (flysurfer).
I was also surprised by the very good upwind: the wing doesn't go very far in the wind window, but it works very well for upwind.
See you soon TONIO for a comon session 8-)
French new team rider
method2 6m 9m & 11 m
Strapless surfboard 5'11
cowpilot

Postby felix » Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:29 am

Thanks for the reviews guys.
Please keep them coming.
Glad we could work out the little kinks and make a more user friendly wing for all wave junkies.
Regards
Felix
felix

Postby cowpilot » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:24 am

Felix,
I've seen on facebook that you keep the bar with 55cm. With the 9?
Thanks a lot!

PS: if you speek french, you will see that a lot of riders want to test mine, yesterday it was a too short session (only a rider). I think method 2 interst a lot of people... http://newkite.fr/index.php?option=com_ ... t=12#30377
French new team rider
method2 6m 9m & 11 m
Strapless surfboard 5'11
cowpilot

Postby Gui » Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:21 am

congratulations Switch team!
You offer us a very nice wave kite!

tried yesterday for the 1st time my M2 7m².
sideshore, 25kts wind very gusty (over 30kts) at Le Dossen north brittanny. overhead waves.strapless 5'8".

the kite is BULLETPROOF!!!!!!! 3 washing machine sessions during my play time in overmast waves and the canopy is still like new!
very stable, good upwind behavior.it can be powerfull but has a great high end.
a bit too much bar pressure compared to the Element but it still controlable even trimed and fully depowered. You can feel that the bar is more alive...

Love it!

will probably go for a 5m² for stronger sessions!

gui
Nitro 10 - Method2 5-7-9
strapless 5'8" surf
hydrofoil
Gui

Postby cowpilot » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:43 pm

ahah, the french strapless switch team method2 riders :D :D :D
what do you think of turning circle? and speed turning?
French new team rider
method2 6m 9m & 11 m
Strapless surfboard 5'11
cowpilot

Next

Return to General